Canada Day is just around the corner and this year it's a big one. So to celebrate Canada's 150th birthday, we whipped up an exciting ice cream sandwich cake recipe! Yes, it's a real thing!
Not only does it taste delicious with our Vanilla and Red Velvet ice cream, but it literally looks like a giant ice cream sandwich.
- Foothills Creamery Vanilla and Red Velvet ice cream
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups water
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 Chocolate cake mixes
- Red icing (optional)
- Cover a 13x9 inch (or smaller) glass baking tray with plastic wrap and fill with ice cream scoops. Smooth out ice cream with a spatula until it's even. Cover ice cream with plastic wrap and freeze for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two 13x9 inch pans.
- In a medium bowl, combine 3 eggs, 1 cup water, 1/3 cup vegetable and 1 cake mix for the first cake layer. Beat on low for 30 seconds and then on high for 2 minutes until soft. Repeat for second cake layer. Pour or spoon batter into prepared pans.
- In preheated oven, bake each for 25-30 minutes. Cake is done when you stick a toothpick in and it comes out clean. Let cool for 20 minutes.
- Once cooled, flip one cake over and poke with a straw to create ice cream sandwich design.
- Remove frozen ice cream from tray and place it on top of the bottom cake layer. For optional fun, draw the Canadian maple leaf with red icing. Place second cake layer on top and freeze for one hour.
HAPPY CANADA DAY!